What’s With The Middle Aged Woman Playing Pokemon Go?

For a while, I’ve wanted to write a blog about the way Pokemon Go affects mental health. This seems like the perfect day to do it and that’s because today, 27th February, is Pokemon Day.

You might wonder what Pokemon Day is or what it means and why it is celebrated on 27th February. It’s essentially a day that pays homage to the Pokemon franchise and it’s on 27th February because on that day in 1996, Pokemon Red and Green were released in Japan. Yes, it’s been around for that long. It still feels like something new to me, but I suppose to kids who have grown up with the game being around for their whole lives, it will feel like it’s been around forever.

pokemon go mental health

I wasn’t a Pokemon fan until 2016 when Pokemon Go was released. Until then, the game and characters weren’t even on my radar. I downloaded the game through curiosity – basically because everyone was talking about it and I have major FOMO. Two and a half years later, I’m still playing. It’s had a really profound effect on my life and mental health and it might sound hyperbolic to say that about a game on your phone, but, for the reasons I’m going to share below, it is true.

It gives me exercise

There are countless studies on the effects of exercise on mental health conditions. For me, it’s particularly important because I have a lot of nervous energy, which I find can back up and cause problems if I’m not active.

In November 2014 I injured my back and as a result became much less active. I have always enjoyed working out and aerobic exercise but I suddenly found myself in a situation where I couldn’t do that any more. Every movement, and even just sitting still, was excruciatingly painful. My doctor just told me to keep active but as anyone who has had extreme pain will tell you, that’s difficult to do when you’re sore. I got trapped in the frustrating cycle of trying to find someone who understood how much pain I was in and how debilitating that was. The problem is, when you’re pushing yourself harder and harder to keep moving and keep smiling through the pain, nobody understands. They just see the smile, not realising how difficult that smile was to create.

pokemon go mental health

Pokemon Go was the one thing that kept me moving. I took a break from the game during the worst of the pain but during the last year, when I’ve been getting stronger and working towards becoming fitter than ever before (it’s a slow process), Pokemon Go has been vitally important. It makes me walk on days when I otherwise can’t be bothered. The game keeps me moving.

Fresh air and nature

You can’t underestimate the power of being outdoors. Firstly, let me clear something up. I am not an outdoor person. I once went glamping, which is the more glamorous version of camping where you have an actual bed, carpets in the tent, a wood burning stove and a kitchen area inside the huge tent, and I couldn’t even handle that. I like my home comforts and my idea of roughing it is a 3 star hotel. I make no apologies for that. However, being outside is just magic.

Niantic, who are the driving force behind Pokemon Go, organise something called “Community Day” every month. It’s a three-hour window on either a Saturday or a Sunday where the spotlight falls on one particular Pokemon. Special versions of that Pokemon called “Shiny” are more plentiful that day and the monsters appear more often. There are sometimes other benefits on that day too, like special research tasks you can complete, Pokemon eggs hatching quicker and items called Lure Modules, which can be used in designated locations to entice Pokemons to appear more often in that area, will last for three hours rather than the usual thirty minutes.

pokemon go mental health

Because of Community Day, I’ve found myself outside in snow, rain, wind and occasionally, blazing sun. I would probably not have gone out in those weathers, had it not been for Community Day. But even at other times, when there aren’t any special events, I can’t count the amount of times when I’ve gone out for a walk, simply to hatch an egg, attempt a raid or catch a Pokemon I don’t already have and then looked around the at the countryside and wondered why I wasn’t already out there.

Common Ground With My Son

I’ve discussed before the fact that my son has autism, but those who don’t live with a person who is on the spectrum won’t realise that sometimes, even the simplest things that other parents take for granted, like going for a walk, can be challenging for us. As Luke has gotten older, and his verbal communication has improved drastically, he’s been able to articulate exactly why going out for a walk is such a problem. There’s no reason for it.

Yes, that’s right. Why are we going for a walk? And I’ll say to him that we’re just going to spend time together, or get fresh air, or exercise. But, he will counter, we can get exercise in the garden, as well as fresh air, and we can spend time together anywhere. So why do we have to go for that walk? Telling him that just being in a particular place is the reason, isn’t good enough. He can’t understand. If you add a Pokemon hunt into the discussion, it adds a reason, a goal and an accomplishment. Suddenly, he’s excited about going for walks and even suggesting them himself.

pokemon go mental health

The world is full of people who will criticise the use of screen time as a parenting tool and I’m fully on board with that. But I believe in everything in moderation and there are certain tools we can use, at the right time. Luke loves to talk about the Pokemons we’ve caught and knows where all the Pokestops are where we live. When the game first launched, those simple discussions were so exciting. He was having two-way conversations rather than just repeating things! As time has passed, he’s shown us what an excellent memory and imagination he has too because sometimes he will act out a battle scene between two Pokemons or add voices to the raids.

Haters gonna hate, but yes, I encourage my son to play this particular video game for the reasons listed above.

The Social Aspects

When Pokemon Go first launched, there was no social aspect, except telling other people what you caught and hearing what they had caught. You might have taken a look at each other’s Pokedex to compare which ones you did and didn’t have. About a year into the game, raids were introduced. This means you have to team up with other players and play together in a designated location to defeat a raid boss, which is simply a huge bugger who is much stronger than the average Pokemon of its kind. You can some of these raids solo, but you only get the Legendary Pokemons if you team up with six or seven other players, minimum.

Last year, I started meeting a lot of new people thanks to the game. I met a guy called Kevin online, who was coming over to Scotland with his family on holiday. He was paying a visit to a Masonic Lodge in Kilwinning, which is quite near me, and he wanted to trade a Tauros with as many Scottish players as possible. For those who don’t know, Tauros is a Pokemon that only usually appears in North America, so for someone like me, who has only ever been to Europe and Africa, and has hardly been anywhere since I started playing this game, this was a really big deal. There are also benefits for Kevin in doing that because he can earn a Pilot badge for trading Pokemons that were caught far apart.

pokemon go mental health

I also joined a local group online of Pokemon Go players and we regularly meet for bigger raids. I did wonder if they would all be kids and I would be this weird old lady who they all laughed at. WRONG! Everyone’s about my age and they’re all really nice. We all have a shared interest and a common goal and we just get it. There are a couple of other families who play, and while Luke hasn’t formed any friendships with the other kids, it does feel nice to meet groups of people who are similar to us (yes, Alex signed up for his own account last year too).

On The Worst Days…

I have to admit that there were a handful of days at the end of last year, and in January this year, when I wondered if maybe I just shouldn’t be here any more. Pokemon Go is a great self-soothing tool for me. If I feel angry, I open it up and I choose to battle a rival team in that new feature that was introduced. If I feel sad, I open the app and look at the news section to remind myself that there’s a Community Day around the corner. If I feel really bad, sometimes just looking at my Pokedex and reminding myself of “that sunny day” when I caught a Golem down at the church with my son and we high-fived makes me feel better. Or the time that I waited around the village in the snow, waiting for a snowy Castform to appear and I felt so satisfied. Or seeing all the empty spaces reminds me that I’ve gotta catch them all. That’s the whole point, right?

pokemon go mental health

Pokemon Go isn’t just a game to me. It’s a self-care and self-soothing tool. So, next time you see a middle-aged woman playing Pokemon on her phone, think about the reasons why. She might be getting her daily step count completed, or trying to enjoy nature and time away from her desk. She might be planning the next conversation with a child who struggles to speak in two-way conversations or waiting for a group of friends who also play the game. She might even be trying to save her own life.

If you would like to add me as a friend on Pokemon Go (I still have 62 spaces at the time of writing), my friend code is 6646 0704 1879.

31 Comments

1. Alex Milligan
    February 27, 2019 / 11:11 am

Loved this post, made me reavaluate my thoughts on adult Pokemon Go players. Keep up the good work

2. February 27, 2019 / 11:20 am

Lovely article, friend request sent.

• February 27, 2019 / 11:23 am

Thank you! I think I have accepted 🙂

3. Caroline
    February 27, 2019 / 11:27 am

Thank you for sharing. Want to say ditto to the above! I’ve just sent you a friend request. I’m rubychewitt (also a woman in her prime) lol.

• February 27, 2019 / 11:28 am

Thanks! I think I just accepted you 🙂 we really are at our peak! 😉

4. Carl
    February 27, 2019 / 12:38 pm

I would like to say your spot on with your comments, I suffer from mental health issues and pokemon go makes me get out of the house when I am having a bad day. I walk for miles without noticing while playing it. It has been excellent for my recovery.

• February 27, 2019 / 12:42 pm

I’m really glad to hear that Carl, I hope you continue feeling better! 🙂

5. Carys W
    February 27, 2019 / 12:57 pm

Love it 😊 42 years old here and love the game and the getting outdoors. Just sent you a friend request – Livia77

• February 27, 2019 / 1:08 pm

Thanks, I have accepted 🙂

6. R yiannitsarou
    February 27, 2019 / 1:04 pm

My husband has loved pokemon since it was released in 96. When pokemon go was released he was obsessed, because life is so busy and time together is hard to find, I also joined pokemon go, and now we go for walks together in the evening after dinner and talk. Its wonderful. We barely watch TV now and spend so much time together

• February 27, 2019 / 1:08 pm

I love that! My husband joined to spend time with me and it’s been so good for both of us!

• February 27, 2019 / 1:53 pm

I am also a forty something person who uses the game as self care. So happy I’m not alone there. Also friend requested.

• February 27, 2019 / 1:54 pm

Thanks Jase, just accepted! 🙂

7. February 27, 2019 / 1:12 pm

Great article, thanks! Really touching about your son, I’m so happy for you! Friend request sent, I’m SlowNewsDay and *also* a middle aged woman with kids. ❤️

• February 27, 2019 / 1:19 pm

Thank you, I’ve accepted! 🙂 my son has gone from strength to strength and I give partial credit to the chats he and I have while playing!

8. JCC
    February 27, 2019 / 1:18 pm

Nice Post and from an interesting angle. There are many reasons that adults play Pokemon Go – a game many other adults think is a kids game or just as likely thought was a fad that no one plays anymore. For my wife and myself, it gives us a common interest and a great excuse to take a walk together.
    We often see families out and about on community days, but your post has given me additional food for thought when bumping into them 🙂
    Friend request sent 🙂

• February 27, 2019 / 1:22 pm

Thanks! Yes, Community Day really highlights the number of families and adults who play. I regularly bump into an elderly lady who plays near me 🙂

9. Sarah Lloyd
    February 27, 2019 / 1:33 pm

I’m the same just sent you a friend request xx

• February 27, 2019 / 1:46 pm

Thank you! I think I have accepted 🙂

10. Kerry
    February 27, 2019 / 1:45 pm

Thanks for echoing publicly a regular conversation my sisters and I have, all in our 50s, to ‘justify’ why we play! Friend request sent (km4rgo), hopefully you have space for another. I travel for months at a time, so save opening of gifts for when you have egg spaces!

• February 27, 2019 / 1:48 pm

Thanks Kerry! We should definitely not have to justify why we play but because society sees it as a pastime that isn’t for more mature people, I find myself explaining my reasons to people. Sometimes, I am sorry to say I tell people I am playing solely for my son’s benefit. Which is nonsense. It’s all for me LOL

11. February 27, 2019 / 2:15 pm

What a realy nice article a lot of the points are on people’s minds and it was nice to see it written down. I regularly thank Niantic for this game they have created; that is geared towards walking and towards being social. I have gained a lot from this game and although I’m young (21) I am usually one of the youngest at a raid it is very normal for the group to be made up of middle aged people but we all get along because of our common goal.
    Thank you once again for this wonderful article and I’ve sent you a friend’s request

• February 27, 2019 / 2:18 pm

You’re very welcome! I find that too, most of the players are my age or thereabouts. I’ve just accepted your request. Look out for some Scottish gifts soon 🙂

12. Monty
    February 27, 2019 / 2:28 pm

That sums it up for me as well, request sent

• February 27, 2019 / 3:32 pm

Thanks, I’ve accepted!

13. Sue Tinsley
    February 27, 2019 / 8:28 pm

I enjoyed reading this blog so much – I started playing Pokemon Go thinking it would entertain my young grandsons during the school holidays but they lost interest and I’m still going strong – level 32 player! I have sent you a request.
    Sue, North Wales

• February 27, 2019 / 10:23 pm

Thanks Sue! You never know, they might take an interest in it again at some stage. I’m accepting as many requests as possible but I hit my limit today – not sure if I accepted you before that or not but if not, I’ll leave the request pending and accept you once I go below 200 again. People generally delete me once we hit best friends stage so I’ll have a space very soon 🙂

14. Calista
    February 27, 2019 / 9:26 pm

Thank you for this article. Pokémon came out in ’96, I was 4 years old. So I grew up with it. I still own Pokémon cards from generation 1. The fact more people are getting into it is nice. Pokémon Go has really gotten people out of the house and it’s no one’s business of you are in your prime playing Pokémon. Community day makes that clear, the park I like to go to always is full of people and the sweetest thing I’ve seen so far is an old man in a wheelchair playing with his (son or grandson I’m not sure). Don’t judge people for the age they are playing, be happy it’s getting people together.

• February 27, 2019 / 10:24 pm

I love this and yes, all ages play. You really notice that on Community Day! 🙂

15. Vatta
    February 28, 2019 / 11:12 am

(Sorry in advance this got so long I just have so many feelings over this game)

Honestly I feel this and sometimes I feel bad that I depend on the game so much, and the social taboos of being a ~young adult~ (I’m 28 but apparently look young so I guess I’m a millennial, and you know what they say about “millennials always being on their phones!”) makes me anxious of people seeing me walking while looking at my phone etc. I use buses alot to take my daughter to and from school because I can’t walk very well, but sometimes if I have time prefer to walk (slowly) to try and hatch eggs or get stops I wouldn’t get otherwise, or take longer routes to get to a gym. When Pokemon go first came out there were hardly any stops around my area so we had to go to the city centre to top up on Pokeballs, but recently they’ve added more to the kids play parks and churches. It’s little things like it shows you landmarks you didn’t know were there, and usually tells you about them.

I’ve been collecting Pokemon cards since they were first a “fad” and were banned in schools within a few days, and still am, Pokemon is my special interest. My daughter (6) collects them too and her school lets kids take them to school as long as they only take them out in “Pokemon club” in lunchtime. She loves trading them with her friends and telling them about all the Pokemon I have on Pokemon go and the ones she’s helped me catch.

I’ve gotten my mum to play Pokemon go with me and she doesn’t really get it but we have fun, and my daughter likes us all going places to do little raids and to collect all her favourite Pokemon. Her favourites were the pikachus in all the hats but now it’s the eevees in the flower crowns.💙💚💛🧡💜❤

• February 28, 2019 / 12:05 pm

Comments, long and short, are always welcome on this site! I love that everyone is sharing how important the game is in their lives and how we all love it for the same reasons – but also some different reasons. I didn’t think to mention about how much I’ve learned about local landmarks thanks to the Pokestops. I might add something in.

I still don’t have an Eevee in a flower crown! I caught two Pikachus yesterday with flower crowns, but still no Eevee.